FULL TIME, 12 MONTH TEMPORARY, with the possibility of ongoing employment
- Are you a Solicitor looking to make a real difference in the community?
- Join a well-recognised community-based NFP in this rewarding and challenging role
- Full-time role (38 hours per week)
- Attractive remuneration circa $98,976 gross per annum plus 9.5% super and 17.5% leave loading
- Eligible employees may also benefit from salary sacrifice options to further increase their take-home pay
- Time off in lieu arrangements available
- 3 days ex gratia leave available over the Christmas/New Year period
- Vaccination Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Up to $1,000 relocation costs.
About Cairns Community Legal Centre
The Cairns Community Legal Centre is a non-profit, government-funded community organisation, providing accessible legal and social justice services to people in the community who are experiencing disadvantage.
The Centre extends its service to a number of different areas, including guardianship, domestic violence, peace and good behaviour matters, consumer law, debt, motor vehicle property damage, employment, discrimination, family law, child protection, and criminal and traffic matters.
This work is provided for a diverse range of clients including people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those experiencing domestic or family violence, financial difficulties and homelessness.
About the Role
Due to ongoing organisational growth, the Cairns Community Legal Centre has a new role available for a full-time Supervising Solicitor, to join its team on a 12-month temporary basis, with the possibility of ongoing employment after that.
Working closely with and reporting to the Centre’s Principal Solicitor, the Supervising Solicitor will be appointed as the Centre's 'Nominated Person', and be responsible for supervising the Centre's professional team to deliver quality legal services in accordance with the Centre's policies, procedures, guidelines and practices; and in line with the Centre's strategic initiatives and operational matters determined by the Centre's Director.
Some of your duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Supervision of the Centre’s professional staff, including induction, training and provision of ongoing supervision to ensure work is carried out in accordance with program guidelines and other requirements
- Provision of direct client services, including legal advice and ongoing casework; community education, awareness-raising, networking, liaison and promotion; and law reform work;
- Provision of other support, including assisting with rostering, maintenance of legal and other resources, monitoring risk and compliance matters, and supporting operational initiatives; and
- Other work functions/activities as required.
To view the full position description, please click here.
The Cairns Community Legal Centre is looking for an individual who holds a Bachelor of Law Degree. In addition, you will have (or be eligible for) admission as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland and a practising certificate that entitles you to practise as a solicitor in Queensland.
The successful candidate will work effectively and cooperatively with the Principal Solicitor and staff to achieve quality legal services in accordance with the Centre's strategic initiatives and operational matters, as determined by the Centre's Director. Furthermore, your well-prepared and highly organised nature will be crucial to your success in the role, as will your ability to be agile in responding to emerging demands and managing competing priorities.
Candidates should also possess supervision and management capabilities, and have the patience and attitude required to constructively support and mentor staff and volunteers. You will also be expected to be a daily role model for the Centre's organisational culture and must be able to demonstrate the values and behaviours expected by the Centre.
Importantly, you'll be passionate about the work, and will have a genuine interest in working to help people who are experiencing disadvantage.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of disadvantaged and marginalised clients - Apply Now!