Staff Specialist in Psychiatry - Acute Care Team and Newcastle Mental Health Team
Staff Specialist in Psychiatry
Acute Care Team and Newcastle Mental Health Team
Hunter New England Mental Health
Permanent Part Time 0.65FTE
Hunter New England Mental Health are seeking a dynamic Psychiatrist to Provide high quality, evidence based, patient focused psychiatric services to admitted and non- admitted patients of the Newcastle Mental Health Service/Acute Care Team, their families and carers.
Applicants must have a medical degree registerable with the Medical Board of Australia and Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. Your ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from all health related disciplines will assist you in developing strong local links with other health welfare providers.
By negotiation with the Clinical Director and Director of Medical Services, the successful applicant will be able to spend one session per week (approx. 4 hours) in an area of interest (e.g. eating disorders).
The ideal candidate will be looking for an opportunity to:
• Provide clinical management and treatment of patients of both Newcastle Mental Health Service and the HNE Mental Health Acute Care Team
• Participate in multidisciplinary training and education, including nursing, allied health, junior medical staff (in conjunction with the Director of Training and Director of Prevocational Training), medical students, and other members of the multidisciplinary team.
• Monitor and respond to outcome based data and best practice principles to drive innovative models of care in NMHS by aligning interdependent organisational systems, and facilitating cultural change whilst encouraging a culture that embraces the values of the organisation.
HNELHD is recognised as a leader and innovator in the healthcare industry. We recognise that working together in a values based organisation with a focus on "Excellence - Every Patient, Every Time" supports us in achieving improved outcomes for our employees and the community.
About the area
Newcastle is located 2 hours north of Sydney, NSW and is a modern city that also boasts a rich heritage and stunning coastline. The Hunter Valley region is home to over 680,000 people and is a major tourist destination in NSW with a range of activities on offer. There are excellent educational facilities, sporting, recreational and lifestyle options on offer.
1. Senior Medical Officer with current Authority to Practice with AHPRA. Fellowship of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists or equivalent as provided for in the Staff Specialist (State) Award. Advanced Trainees of the RANZCP who are within 6 months of receiving specialist registration may apply. NSW Driver's License or equivalent
2. Evidence of being a good COMMUNICATOR, including both oral and written communication skills, a sensitive and empathic approach to clear communication with patients, carers, other professionals and the public
3. Evidence of being an ADVOCATE, including past involvement with consumer and carer groups, media and lobbying experience and ability in health promotion and prevention and recognition of the social environments in which public mental health services operate
4. Evidence of being a SCHOLAR, including evidence of continued professional development, publications, research and past teaching experiences, practice of evidence based medicine and commitment to passing on learning to others
5. Evidence of being a MANAGER, including ability to be flexible and cope with a rapidly altering mental health system, any leadership and management experience, and previous improvement activities
6. Evidence of being a PROFESSIONAL, including an understanding of bioethics and the role of medicine and psychiatry in public mental health, the need for supervision and other forms of clinical governance, a professional attitude towards patients, staff and family and ability to be flexible in work role
7. Evidence of being a MEDICAL EXPERT, particularly having worked in similar adult psychiatric services in the past
8. Evidence of being a COLLABORATOR, including ability to network and operate within an interdisciplinary framework and to work with other stakeholders in a variety of settings
Need more information?
1) Click here for the Position Description
2) Find out more about applying for this position
Enquiries: Dr Brendan Flynn - Director Medical Services, Hunter New England Mental Health
Phone: (02) 4033 5160 Email: [email protected]
Applications: Jessica Glover - Senior Medical Recruitment Consultant
Phone: (02) 6767 7063 Email: [email protected]
Applications Close: 18 August 2019