Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
We€™re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
As part of its Airspace Mobility activities, Thales is developing high-level expertise and capability in order to offer the civil and military markets a range of innovative and mature products. The challenge? Developing, validating and delivering a new Air Traffic Management system to be deployed in Australian skies. This large software system (4 million lines of code) includes all the software development activities and software integration, validation and qualification activities. The Software Engineering Director is responsible for setting the industrial strategy for software development, as well as the leadership and strategic direction of the Software teams dedicated to the program (approximately 200 people) located across sites in Melbourne and France.
- Leadership of all of the Software Engineering activities within the project, including architecture, design, reuse, development, integration and verification
- Defining and validating the industrial strategy of software development and incremental validation for the product. Contribute to defining the strategy of management of the Multi-releases Release Zero (RZ), Release 1 (R1) and Release 2 (R2), in order to promote reuse and to improve competitiveness
- Defining and deploying the software engineering environment, methodologies, processes, practices and tools needed to support the incremental product development, in order to ensure on time delivery whilst maximising product quality
- Defining, deploying and maximizing synergies between the releases RZ, R1 and R2 and future product policy development, in order to optimize re-use of software components & tests and guarantee stability of the baselines between releases and software building blocks
- Leading, coaching and developing a large team of engineers to deliver software engineering services, aligning them around shared vision and objectives and ensuring optimal delivery and performance
- Building capability to meet current customer expectations and raising the level of skills and competencies to support the future needs of the business
- Providing direction, expert advice, mentoring, and workflow management (including task prioritisation and resource coordination) in support of achieving project objectives and milestones to the right level of quality and maturity
- Anticipating and leading the response to key risks, issues and opportunities with particular focus on defect management, SW configuration, Engineering KPIs and Cost. Propose effective solutions, execute mitigation actions and report on outcomes, cost savings and residual risks
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement within the software development and test disciplines for the software.
The ideal candidate will posses:
- A tertiary qualification in Engineering, Computer Science, IT or other relevant qualification
- Extensive experience of developing the industrial strategy to deliver highly complex, real time and distributed software engineering projects to successful completion in complex customer environments
- Exceptional leadership skills of large multi-skilled engineering teams to deliver high performance within an international matrix environment
- Highly skilled at identifying future skills and capability requirements and effectively developing the talent pipelines required to meet these
- Extensive experience of financial / budgetary management of large engineering work packages or tasks
- A champion of change, able to drive a culture of continuous improvement and embed the adoption of best practice within the organisation
- Finely honed influencing and stakeholder management skills, with a proven ability to collaborate effectively and drive outcomes across a complex, international matrix environment.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!