Life at Nine.
Nine’s strategy is to create great content, distribute it broadly and engage audiences and advertisers.
We are Australia’s largest locally owned media company – the home of Australia’s most trusted and loved brands spanning News, Sport, Lifestyle, and Entertainment.
We pride ourselves on creating the best content, accessed by consumers when and how they want. Nine’s assets include the 9Network, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review, radio stations 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR, digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Now, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV, Drive, subscription video platform Stan and a majority investment in Domain Group.
Your new opportunity at Nine.
The Sydney Morning Herald is seeking expressions of interest for a full-time Social Media Producer/Journalist to join the team in Sydney. You will report to the Herald's Digital Editor and Social Media Editor.
We are looking for someone with a sharp eye for detail and fresh ideas about digital storytelling to help coordinate and distribute SMH content through our current social media channels and new ones as time goes on.
Reporting to the Social Media Editor, the successful candidate will work with the Masthead’s digital teams to promote the full breadth and depth of our award-winning journalism.
Regular weekend work and early starts will be required.
Day to day, your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Work alongside the Social Media Editor to execute overall social media strategy;
- Write, create and publish social posts and stories;
- Work to ensure the tone and balance of content is appropriate and targeted;
- Post breaking news notifications and livestreams;
- Help manage our fast-growing suite of social media accounts;
- Help generate ideas for content geared toward distribution across social media platforms and assist in production;
- Track and meet follower and engagement goals for social platforms;
- use analytics to make informed strategic decisions;
- Become an expert on the competitive landscape; and
- Identify emerging growth tactics and trends.
Enough about us, let's talk about you.
You’ll have a passion for news and an eye for an angle. The ability to work at a fast pace while paying sharp attention to detail is essential.
Experience as a reporter/editor/producer would be an advantage, as would experience training staff in social media protocols and digital best practice.
You will also have:
- Broad general knowledge and a deep interest in current affairs;
- A strong understanding of social media, including trends and platforms and the ability to reach a target audience;
- Advanced digital production skills including copy editing, headline writing and story packaging. Image, video and audio editing skills will be an advantage as will graphic design skills;
- Creative flair to make content stand out in a competitive environment;
- Refined editorial judgement with an ability to identify digital trends and spot a trending news story;
- Strong grasp of media law;
- Excellent writing and editing skills; the ability to write in an engaging, smart tone that feels native to social media and still consistent with the values of the Herald / Age; and
- Willingness to pitch in when needed to accomplish the goals of a small team, learn new skills.
What you'll get in return at Nine.
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Access to Future Women – a movement to help women connect, learn and lead through unique content and events.
- Hybrid Working/Flexible working
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners including Samsung, Apple, JB HI-FI, HP, Hertz Car Hire and TFE Hotels
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you'll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.