We are looking for a responsible, Hands-on, Start on-site and at the office Safety Officer to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines. You will provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations. You will also be on a constant lookout for violations.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is highly experienced in preparing project HSE risk assessments, SWMS, SWIs and review contractor’s risk assessments—with a proven track record in the renewables and utility space or at least in construction, explicitly demonstrating an awareness of electrical health and safety.
It will be highly regarded that you’re a responsible individual who swears by OSH regulations. Your work will be largely focused on prevention, so you need to be conscientious and farsighted. The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented and ready to act in emergencies.
The goal is to establish a safe workplace according to legal standards and foster a culture of attention to health and safety.
- Support the development of OHS policies and programs
- Conducting periodic Safety Audits demonstrating compliance with the latest electrical and construction safety standards.
- Lead safety incident investigations and reporting on safety systems as well as outcomes to safety.
- Coaching and mentoring site supervisors and other key personnel on safety procedures while conducting morning safety meetings and prestarts on new sites.
- Conducting and reporting to management on safety gap analysis.
- Emergency preparedness response: development of regular recurring review of these procedures and seeing to the training of all staff Chair Health and Safety and Quality Meetings against weekly and monthly objects and targets
- Subcontractor management, reviewing and accepting subcontractor HSQ plans work method statements, SWMS, onboarding, due diligence and compliance, auditing, HSQ inspections.
- Conducting weekly toolbox meetings focused on safety initiatives and technical training.
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.)
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation
- Initiate and organize OHS training of employees and executives
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
- Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker’s compensation claims
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management
- Proven experience as a safety officer
- Diploma in Workplace Health and Safety, Certificate IV in Workplace Health and Safety
- In-depth knowledge of legislation (e.g. OSHA/EPA) and procedures
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus Gsuite and google drive will be highly regarded.
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Diligent with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
- BSc/BA in safety management, engineering or relevant field is preferred
- Certificate IV in occupational health and safety