Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
About the opportunity
Are you technically minded with a strong attention to detail? Are you looking for a unique part time opportunity? Alcoa's Kwinana refinery have an exciting, flexible opportunity to join the team as a refinery technician! This position is part time 0.5 FTE basis working weekdays. The role is available for a 12 month fixed term contract, with the potential of permanency.
This role reports through to the refinery's laboratory, with functional reporting to our operations engineering team. The refinery technician is accountable for planning and implementing programs and providing support to departmental and process projects aimed at monitoring and improving the productivity and efficiency as well as the overall quality of the refinery.
Your responsibilities include:
- Working safely and promoting a strong safety culture in a continuously operating refinery
- Assisting with measurements of process both inline and sample based
- Working at heights and completing manual work; including carrying heavy equipment and hammering valves
- Maintaining a high standard of accuracy and precision in all sampling & analysis
- Timely progress of required work
- Handle and work with corrosive chemicals
- Collecting representative samples for further processing in the laboratory.
Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply is this is something you're seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equality and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values €“ act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people €“ are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success you will have:
- The ability to demonstrate a personal commitment to safety and the environment
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and proven ability to connect, work with and influence key stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
- A strong work ethic with a can-do attitude.
Previous experience in a process refinery or mineral process operation is desirable, Bayer refinery experience preferred. A good knowledge of chemistry is required and a certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques (or equivalent) will also be highly regarded.
As an Alcoa employee, you will embark on growth opportunities and can truly make a difference being part of an organisation that respects and considers flexibility whilst empowering you with stimulating and challenging work.
Please note that no agency applications will be accepted at this time.
About where you will
Kwinana Alumina Refinery is located 40 kilometres south of Perth in the Kwinana Industrial Area. It is a major employer in the area with approximately 850 employees. An estimated 48 per cent of employees live in the neighbouring communities of Kwinana, Cockburn and Rockingham.
Wednesday 8th July 2020
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa in Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities-aus
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,000 people in Western Australia and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 18 consecutive years by the Federal Government€™s Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 56 years. More than 65 per cent of Alcoa€™s Australian annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.