Location: Sydney, Australia
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
We€™re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
Thales is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect that enables all of us to feel valued, do our best, and remain truly passionate about the place that we work. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. Talk to us about any support or accessibility requirements you may need and how we support flexibility in the workplace.
Wellbeing matters at Thales, and where possible we encourage a flexible work culture.
About Your Role
Thales has been supporting the Australian Defence Force with Small Arms for over 100 years and is now working to deliver them the Next Generation of Small Arms.
We€™re seeking talented Engineers, who can apply their knowledge and skills in an innovative Senior Engineering role. We have built up a team passionate about developing products to equip soldiers with transformational capabilities for the challenges of the modern battlefield and we€™re now looking for like-minded, engineers to join us in this important task. The Chief of Army summarised this last year when he recognised this by confirming that what we do is €œ fundamental to assuring Army€™s competitive capability edge into the future€.
This role will take a lead role in this exciting future leading the R&D of hardware in respect of weapons and their integration with sensors for the Thales next generation of weapons for optimum performance and cost. This will have a particular focus on new designs to satisfy improvements in light weighting and thermal management and facilitate the addition of digital functionality to the weapon targeted under the Networked Future Augmented Small Arms Technologies (Networked FAST) program.
A senior role within the R&T team you will take a lead in Innovation within the business line introducing step changes in performance both in internal processes as well as in its products & services.
- Providing knowledge on state-of-the-art Hardware Architecting for weapons and integrated systems, taking account of future developments
- Elaborating, stabilising and maintaining hardware architecture across the Engineering development lifecycle phases from bid to delivery
- Directing and coordinating hardware architecture, modelling, simulation and prototyping studies
- Identifying the required skills, allocating roles and responsibilities to the various individual contributors and leading them in R&D as a team
- Steering technological developments including approving the technical, technological, and methodological choices taken in respect of the selected hardware architecture
- Guaranteeing consistency to in-scope standards, reuse policy and product development plans
- Acting in the role of Product Design Authority for the relevant products and subsystems
- As a senior member of Research & Technology (RnT) team you will also take a leadership role in the business lines adherence to Thales DDQS processes and the creation of an efficient and effective RnT team
- Leading Work Package Management (WPM) including scheduling, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of tasks required from the R&D teams both internal and external partners
How About You?
- Degree in Scientific, Engineering or other relevant discipline
- Hold or be eligible for membership of Engineers Australia
- Proven ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders to deliver to objectives across a complex matrix environment
- Experience in technical leadership of a team of engineers in the development, test and qualification of hardware solutions
- Strong knowledge of hardware development as well as 3D designs
- Sound knowledge of and experience in relevant tools including knowledge and/or experience in use for dynamic and thermal analysis such as ANSYS software
- Experience in defence projects, engineering and/or thermal analysis would be highly advantageous
Good to Know
You€™ll get an email acknowledgement after you€™ve applied, Thales strives to provide a personalised experience for all suitable applicants.
As a Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an appropriate clearance. To learn more about clearances please visit €“ http://www.defence.gov.au/AGSVA/
Prior to offer you€™ll complete a pre-employment police.
For more information on Thales visit us @ThalesCareers on Instagram
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!