Life at Nine.
Nine’s strategy is to create great content, distribute it broadly and engage audiences and advertisers.
We pride ourselves on creating the best content, accessed by consumers when and how they want. Nine’s assets include the 9Network, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review, radio stations 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR, digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Now, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV, Drive, subscription video platform Stan and a majority investment in Domain Group.
Your new opportunity at Nine.
The Financial Review is seeking energetic news reporters for our Sydney and Melbourne newsrooms.
As a member of the national team, you will work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment to write sharp, compelling news stories for digital and print. The national team writes politics, policy, regulatory, economics and human interest stories for a national, business-focused audience.
An interest in business and economics is crucial, and while reporting experience in these fields is desirable it is not essential. Curiosity, however, about the influence of business in politics and society is a must.
The successful Sydney-based candidate will also take the lead on reporting of NSW politics for the Financial Review’s nationally focused audience. This will require dogged source development and smart news judgment.
The roles would suit early to mid-career reporters who are eager to learn from the best business newsroom in the country. We are also open to applications from professionals with a demonstrated passion for news, analysis and writing and who are committed to making a career switch to journalism. Over its 70 year history the Financial Review has nurtured the journalistic careers of former lawyers, accountants, economists, consultants and stock brokers.
Candidates should feel comfortable with variety. Each day will throw unique challenges and introduce new issues that the reporter will need to get across quickly and communicate to readers in a lively and accessible way.
Day to day you will be expected to:
- Jump enthusiastically on breaking news and file to tight deadlines
- Generate unique story ideas
- Prepare clear, accurate, balanced, timely reports that conform to house style
- Work ethically and maintain high standards of independace, accuracy and quality
- Take ownership of stories or issues and follow them up when appropriate
- Be proactive about the visual presentation of stories, including through commissioning accompanying photography and graphics
- Develop and maintain a network of reliable, authoritative contacts
- Identify new sources - including ‘real people’ - as a way of bringing stories to life
- Ensure all copy meets legal requirements
Enough about us, let's talk about you.
To be successful in this role, you will ideally have:
- One to four years experience as a reporter, or experience in business combined with very strong writing skills
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- A passion for news and current affairs
- A demonstrated ability to work independently when required
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively when required
- Evidence of editorial judgment - from nailing an angle to pitching your own stories
- An understanding of how to generate stories using data, or a willingness to learn
- Digital production skills including headline writing and image selection
- The role is full time and permanent and will require some weekend work.
What you'll get in return at Nine.
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Access to Future Women – a movement to help women connect, learn and lead through unique content and events.
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners including Samsung, Apple, JB HI-FI, HP, Hertz Car Hire and TFE Hotels
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you'll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes