Maintenance Manager, Mechanical (Locomotive)
At Rocky Mountaineer, we invite guests to the majestic Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountains and take them on a world class journey. With the help of our dedicated team, we offer more than a renowned luxury product, we create life changing experiences. We are looking for positive people who bring a passion for excellence and commitment to teamwork to join us.
Rocky Mountaineer is proud to work with a strong team of talented individuals. We were recently named one of Deloitte’s Best Managed Companies and have won Employer of the Year by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada multiple times.
The Maintenance Manager – Mechanical is a key leadership role for the RM Operations team. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Maintenance and is responsible for the safe inspection, repair and mechanical operation of the RM rail equipment fleet.
Looking for candidate with strong skills in the Locomotive and Electrical maintenance fields.
The Manager, Maintenance is responsible for the day to day performance and management of the mechanical team and contract workforce across our system as they maintain and service the locomotive and railcar equipment fleets and complete capital project work.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure compliance with all CROR, GOI and applicable safety and operating rules for the Mechanical team
- Helps develop input plans to deliver to safety targets
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies and related requirements and maintain positive relationships with Transport Canada
- Develop and execute plans to deliver to local safety targets
- Assist in the investigation of workplace accidents and implement corrective action as required.
- Ensure communication of and compliance with all company safety policies, procedures and rules
- Set a positive example and promote a strong safety culture at Rocky Mountaineer
- Perform proficiency tests in our system to ensure all employees are tested equally in all areas.
- Provide leadership to team members and managers with regard to workplace safety by role-modeling appropriate behavior and enforcing safety rules.
- Provide a clear direction for managers to address employee safety concerns and workplace safety hazards in an efficient and consistent manner.
- Delivers to maintenance and reliability targets for the mechanical teams in all locations
- Responsible for the performance of all mechanical team members and equipment for the entire network
- Support project management processes to deliver productivity and reliability enhancements in Mechanical Operations
Planning & Inspection
- Ensures that robust inspection processes for RM locomotives and railcars are in place in Kamloops and across our system to meet or exceed regulator and partner requirements (FRA, Transport Canada, CP, CN, Amtrak, etc)
- Ensures Mechanical teams are sufficiently trained with qualified team members to satisfy inspection requirements
- Ensure the optimization and productivity of Mechanical Operations and related contract workforce
- Supports development of team members and solid succession plans for direct report positions
- Support direct reports with development plans
- Participate in the planning and implementation of maintenance projects, including plans and schedules to gain experience in reporting and budget responsibility.
- Assist in development, mentoring and training of personnel, and providing accurate and relevant feedback
- Responsible for the performance of all operations and maintenance team members and equipment
Culture & Engagement
- Champion the vison of a guest satisfaction mindset to enhance the Rocky Mountaineer Brand
- Supports the development of culture and engagement strategies for Mechanical Operations team
- Manage assigned projects in both mechanical operating and capital budgets and related planning to ensure successful execution of the annual capital plan
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Qualified railway trades-person or experience in the trades related work of railway maintenance.
- Valid B.C. Driver's License (Class 5) and clean driving record
- Must pass a safety critical medical as prescribed by Transport Canada including a pre-employment drug test
- Understanding of railway operations
- Previous Qualification under CROR Operating Rules, current qualification is an asset
- Knowledge of A.A.R. and government regulations regarding the maintenance of all railway equipment
- Previous Qualification under CROR Operating Rules is an asset
- Understanding of appropriate internal and external regulations (Federal)
- 1st Aid Level 1 certification is an asset
- 2 – 3 years experience in a managerial role, including team building and team member development
- Project management experience including budgeting and planning is required.
- Background in rail car maintenance is required
- Experience in operating locomotives, switching passenger and/or freight equipment is an asset
- Experience with passenger rail equipment is an asset
- Business mindset – develop management skills with team
- Foster collaboration and strengthen others to execute consistently
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and solve issues
- Ability to provide pinpointed feedback in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to provide service to customers and community
- Must be results and safety oriented
- Ability to deal with regulators
- Ability to influence
- Ability to effectively communicate messages in a way that will be understood readily by each level below
- Provides on job coaching and guidance to other leaders and team members
- Strong time management skills
- Effective leadership and communication skills
- High attention to detail with the desire to complete the job correctly the first time
- Champions RM Brand standards for equipment, facilities and reputation
- Results focused with an ability to apply oneself to support 24x7 operations
- Travel to RM locations as necessary
The position is deemed Safety Critical as it is directly engaged in the operation of trains. All team members are required to pass a safety critical medical and undergo medical monitoring as prescribed by Transport Canada.
If this position suits your skills, experience and personal attributes, we want to talk to you!
Please apply by submitting your resume and a covering letter outlining why you are a suitable candidate. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Armstrong Group is committed to equal opportunity employment and invites applications from all qualified candidates. Please note that background checks are a part of our hiring process.