About Our Client
The City of Mount Gambier is the largest regional council in South Australia. The council is has around 160 FTE and is going through an exciting period of change. The council itself lies half way between Adelaide and Melbourne and strikes the ideal balance between the vibrant lifestyle of a big city and comforts of a small town, between cultural progress and tradition and between modern conveniences and the preservation of natural beauty.
- Lead a culture that maintains the finance department as a trusted internal advisor across council.
- Lead and manage the finance portfolio to ensure compliance with all Local Government, legislation, accounting standards and audit requirements. Apply high level management and financial skills relating to financial statements and returns, Council's Audit Committee, budget, treasury management, financial year cycle, compliance with accounting standards, loan and cash flow.
- Provide professional financial advice and support to the CEO, General Managers, Senior Staff, Mayor and Councillors.
- In support of the General Manager assist with Council's financial software system.
- Develop and lead organisational change within and external to the finance portfolios.
- Accuracy and timeliness of annual budget, treasury management, internal and external financial reporting including FBT and BAS, reports, presentations and analysis
- Provide exceptional leadership both within the finance team and across council that develops employee financial competency.
- In collaboration with the General Manager Council Shared Services, other General Managers and Senior Staff, conduct reviews and analysis of financial systems, and design and implement improvements that deliver best fiscal and sustainable practice in Local Government.
- Deliver innovation and continuous improvement in financial systems resulting in improved access to and understanding of financial matters and information for Councillors and Senior Staff.
The Successful Applicant
- CA/CPA qualified or equivalent.
- Experience in Local Government or large complex Government agency.
- A demonstratable understanding of delivering key services as a trusted advisor.
- Proven high level financial professional and technical skills related to this role particularly related to finance and reporting.
- Extensive leadership experience and proven capacity to lead, mentor and develop staff.
- Experience in innovation and leading change to deliver improved financial systems.
- Exceptional verbal and written skills with the ability to decode complex information into easily understood reporting.
- High tolerance for role complexity, multiple stakeholder and multi-tasking preferably with experience in a complex multifaceted organisation.
- Exceptional understanding of the application of financial software to enhance financial systems and information
What's on Offer
The client is paying a competitive salary for this position. The role will offer a level of flexibility but will require the Finance Manager to be present in the office.