Life at Nine.
Nine’s strategy is to create great content, distribute it broadly and engage audiences and advertisers.
We are Australia’s largest locally owned media company – the home of Australia’s most trusted and loved brands spanning News, Sport, Lifestyle, and Entertainment, we pride ourselves on creating the best content, accessed by consumers when and how they want.
Nine’s assets include the 9Network, major mastheads such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review, radio stations 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR, digital properties such as nine.com.au, 9Now, 9Honey, Pedestrian.TV, Drive, subscription video platform Stan and a majority investment in Domain Group.
Your new opportunity at Nine.
The Financial Review is looking for an entrepreneurial journalist to write, commission and edit explainer journalism across the newsroom.
As the pace of breaking news accelerates, our readers are hungry to understand -- not just what happened -- but what it means; our subscribers want a true understanding of issues and their impact so they can make better decisions.
Explainers often generate more engagement and subscriber views than the news stories they cover and a good explainer will have an evergreen shelf life, and are well suited to multi-media treatment.
Explainers should help readers understand complicated business issues from how the bond market works, to cryptocurrencies and the energy transition but also more general-interest subjects such as what the COVID-19 modelling means for getting us out of lockdowns to internet-meme stocks slang and post-pandemic work attire.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
The best explainers reflect, and build on, our original reporting. They involve talking to experts in much the same way a news report would but use a different tone and presentation.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Curiosity and interest in a wide range of subjects starting with politics, business, and markets, and the ability to get across new topics fast
- A demonstrated ability to edit copy
- An ability to work closely with others
- Excellent digital production skills, digital storytelling experience
What you’ll get in return at Nine.
- Career development and quality training
- Up to 16 weeks paid primary carer’s parental leave
- Discounts on lifestyle, entertainment, and leisure memberships, including health insurance, dental and gym
- Access to Future Women – a movement to help women connect, learn and lead through unique content and events.
- Hybrid Working/Flexible working
- Discounts on products and services with corporate partners including Samsung, Apple, JB HI-FI, HP, Hertz Car Hire and TFE Hotels
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.
At Nine, we are committed to fostering a workforce that embraces all aspects of diversity and inclusion and where practices are equitable to ensure our people experience a sense of belonging. From day one, you'll be encouraged to bring your whole self to work and will be supported to perform at your best. Should you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, and of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and cultures.
Disclaimer: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.