Core Shed Supervisor
Our Underground Tanami Operations is located in one of Australia’s most remote Deserts, the Tanami Desert, 540km north-west of Alice Springs, on Aboriginal freehold land. We offer a competitive remuneration package as well as the opportunity to develop your career in a global company.
Newmont Goldcorp Tanami provides a fully equipped 1200-bed village, 40km from the mine, offering modern leisure facilities to the workforce who FIFO directly from Darwin, Alice Springs, Brisbane and Perth.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced, driven and safety conscious Core Shed Supervisor to lead a large team of Technicians at Newmont’s Tanami Operations. Reporting to the Exploration Superintendent, you will be responsible for managing the day to day activities and supervising the technician team to ensure targets and scheduled works are delivered on time and safely.
The role is based in Tanami and offers an 8/6 FIFO roster from Perth, Brisbane, Darwin & Alice Springs ONLY.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and execute core yard activities in order to support safe and efficient operation of a large core processing facility. Key activities include marking-up of core, core orientation and photography, core cutting, sampling, geophysical measurements, SG testing, sampling and creation of dispatch orders;
- Ensure that all surface drilling and exploration activities are supported through key activities such as site preparation, water supply and rehabilitation of all drill sites in accordance with environmental standards.
- Commit to maintaining high standards of health and safety both within own workplace and through the identification of potential risks throughout the operation;
- Actively drive continuous improvement and innovation through implementation of technology centric initiatives to improve productivity and quality;
- Assist with the coordination and supervision of drilling contractors;
- Provide coaching, mentoring and training for Technicians ensuring quality control and procedures are updated regularly and embedded in work practices;
- Undertake safety audits and inspections and ensure team compliance to safety system requirements;
- Be responsible for implementing development and review plans for all direct reports.
- To be successful in this role you will need to share Newmont’s values and its commitment to safety and the environment.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a field technician;
- Demonstrated leadership experience and strong communication skills, verbal and written;
- Strong core handling experience (mark-up, Ori lines, RQD, photography, cutting);
- Some experience in spatial software (ArcGIS) is preferable;
- Experience in GPS navigation;
- Experience using SAP software
- Sound PC skills and computer literacy (MS Excel, MS Office)
- Experience working with drilling contractors and landowners;
- A commitment to maintaining workplace health, safety standards and principles;
- Valid Manual Drivers license;
- Valid HR License and High Risk Work License LF (Forklift)
- Cert II and / or III Geosciences and Field Practices desirable
- Current first aid certificate
- Underground experience preferred
To be considered for this role, you must be able to meet the site access requirements by having a current driver’s license, passing a police clearance and pre-employment medical.
Our Values and Culture
Newmont Goldcorp encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. As part of our commitment with the Traditional Land Owners we encourage applications from candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.
For a first-hand look at our site, please watch our short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_BPctMPIg
To apply for this role click on the Apply now link or go to www.newmont.com click on Careers then select the Asia Pacific region.