Join the SDN village and make a real difference to the lives of children and young people.
Discover how you can make a real difference to the lives of children and young people by strengthening their village and partnering with families when they need it most.
About The Program
The Family Preservation Program delivers targeted voluntary intervention services to children and young people aged 0-17 where concerns of risk of significant harm have been raised.
The primary outcome of the Family Preservation Program is to keep children and young people within their safe and stable family by improving family functioning and reducing risk and safety concerns so they can have a healthy development.
The voluntary programs focus is on preventing vulnerable children from entering the child protection system by improving children and young people's wellbeing.
About The Role
You will work in partnership with families using a coaching approach that is focussed on clear, achievable goals with the aim of reducing risk and increasing safety for children and young people ensuring that crucial conversations happen to address risk of harm concerns and systemic patterns of behaviour.
This is a full time permanent position based at our Redfern Family Preservation office with flexibility to travel required. Part time (4 days per week) will also be considered for this position.
To succeed in this role you will need:
- University qualification in social work or equivalent
- Experience of working within a community services and/or child and family sector
- Demonstrated commitment to child focused practice, well developed understanding of Child Protection practices, a sound understanding of legislation and an ability to effectively assess, prioritise and manage risks to child wellbeing
- Experience working with vulnerable and complex children and families including those from different cultural backgrounds
- Supportive, tactful and empathetic nature with the ability to make clear judgements that promote the rights, interests and wellbeing of children
- Eagerness to learn and seek diverse feedback on clinical decisions and practices and experience in applying constructive criticism to modifying practice
- A current Working with Children Check (WWCC) and National Police Check
- NSW Drivers Licence
- Demonstrated case management and assessment experience working with children and families with complex child protection issues
- Excellent relationships building, negotiation and influencing skills with experience working with a range of stakeholders including families, government and community groups
- Desirable - minimum 2 years' experience working with 0-17 year olds, or in family preservation services
In the context of COVID-19 we are continuing to deliver services to families face to face. Staff have the option to work from home or at the office based on individual needs.
SDN's values are at the heart of everything we do. If you share our values and believe that through working together we can make the world a better and more equitable place then we want to hear from you!
We commit ourselves to being: trustworthy and reliable, inclusive and respectful and creative and innovative. SDN's commitment to staff is demonstrated by investing in an Employee Value Proposition project based on staff feedback.
SDN Benefits include:
- Positive, welcoming culture
- Ongoing training and development with a focus on career growth
- Learning and development fund for each staff member
- Working with a team of professionals who have extensive experience and knowledge gained through our 110 + year history of supporting children and families
- Flexible working arrangements with a strong focus on work life balance
- Experienced and passionate management team who are supportive and consultative
- Priority placement for children of staff members
- Discounted child care fee
- Full salary packaging
- Paid parental leave
- Finders fee -referral scheme
- Employee Assistance Program - Free, voluntary and confidential counselling service
- SDN Staff Giving Fund
- Access to purchased Leave
- Picnic Day - One extra day paid leave for all permanent staff
- Study Leave
- Rewards and Recognition Program
- KM Reimbursement
To view the position description please copy and paste the below into a web browser:
SDN Children's Services welcomes and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Successful applicants will be subject to relevant pre-employment checks including Working with Children Check (NSW), National Police Check and Covid 19 vaccination in line with government regulations.