The demand for public health professionals is significant and expected to grow. According to Job Outlook, there’s been a 22% growth in public health and disease prevention related job postings compared to last year, with this trend expected to continue. In addition, Burning Glass Labour (2020) insight analysis reveals significant volumes of job postings for professionals that may benefit from a postgraduate public health qualification.
VU Online’s Master of Public Health, with two specialisations in Health Promotion and Global Health Leadership, is designed for professionals passionate about influencing positive change in public health through gaining the skills to tackle current and emerging issues in local and global contexts.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Global Health Leadership
- Disease Preparedness Researcher
- Disaster Preparedness Coordinator
- Infection Preventionist
- Health Informatics Specialist
- Communications Manager
- Health Administrator
- Senior Advisor – Health
- Policy Advisor – Health
- Health Promotion
- NGO Manager
- Health Promoter
- Public Health Researcher
- Community Health Promoter
- Public Policy and Strategy Consultant
- Health Educator
- Health Promotion Research Coordinator
- Other roles in this field include
- Public Health Medical Officer
- Lecturer in Health
- Medical/Health Advisor
- Program Officer
- Communicable Disease Analyst
- Project Officer
What You'll Learn
VU Online’s Master of Public Health, with two specialisations in Health Promotion and Global Health Leadership, is designed for professionals passionate about influencing positive change in public health through gaining the skills to tackle current and emerging issues in local and global contexts. Each unit of study lasts for seven weeks.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 years part-time
- VU Online provides you with the academic support you need, when you need it, throughout the course. With four layers of student support, our goal is to ensure you succeed in your studies
- Our highly experienced academics understand how to deliver a quality online learning experience and are responsive and accessible
- You will also have access to a dedicated Student Success Advisor, who provides motivation and one-on-one personalised assistance with non-academic matters for the duration of the course. You will experience the support of a community through chat, virtual seminars and discussion board activity. Your support network is only a phone call or email away
- Completed an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in any discipline OR
- Completed an Australian Graduate Diploma (or equivalent) in a similar discipline OR
- Applicants without an undergraduate qualification may be admitted to the Graduate Diploma based on approved work experience. Upon completion of the Graduate Diploma, graduates will be eligible for admission to this course with credit granted for completed units
Students may choose to exit after completing 8 units in the course, in which case they may graduate with a Graduate Diploma in Public Health.
Recognition of Prior Learning
- You may be eligible to enter into the masters with credit for past skills and/or study, known as advanced standing
- If you’ve already completed any of the units in the course in which you are enrolling, or their equivalent, you may be eligible for advanced standing
About Victoria University Online
Internationally recognised as a leading university, Victoria University (VU) is ranked among the top two per cent of universities worldwide.
At VU Online, we make it easy to fit study around existing commitments including work, family and children. Our programs are delivered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2020 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
Our postgraduate online Block Model is designed to be flexible, interactive and student-centred. Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time, offering you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees.
Our online learning platform is a virtual one-stop shop that helps you manage your study commitments 24/7. You will be able to access your coursework, resources, assignment details and individual feedback from facilitators, all in one place.
- A genuine online learning community
- Interactive, immersive learning – no exams or textbooks to purchase
- Delivered by experienced academics and facilitators
- 1:1 support via phone, email or SMS, seven days a week and in the evenings