In 2015, Health Care and Social Assistance was the largest employing sector in Australia, representing 1,523,000 workers and accounting for 27% of total new jobs over a five year period. Employment growth is projected to remain strong, with the sector forecast to grow by 16.4% (or an estimated 250,200 more workers) to November 2020.
The community services system includes the entire disability system, child protection and family services, youth justice, public housing, homelessness, sexual assault and family violence. Social workers and community workers are the largest professional group within most of these fields.
A community worker is a person who has the knowledge, skills and values to work with individuals, families, social groups or communities in order to promote or restore social functioning. Community workers advocate for the rights of individuals and communities and work to address systemic barriers that prevent the social and economic inclusion of all citizens. This qualification will give you the skills and knowledge to obtain employment and make a difference in people’s lives.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Case Coordinator
- Community Services Worker
- Group Facilitator
- Alcohol and other Drug Worker
- Client Service Assessor
- Early Intervention Worker
- Social Welfare Worker
- Support Facilitator
- Coordinator Family Services
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 12 months
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification, however students will need to obtain A Working with Children Check and a National Police – we will assist with both.
- Access to MyKirana – Kirana Colleges virtual campus
- Work Placement Assistance – team dedicated to assisting with work placement during your course which may, in turn, to lead to future job prospects
- Welcome placement & job ready packs to assist with work placement
- 24-7 access to the Student Assistance Program (counselling support & advice, delivered by Access EAP)
- Kirana provides both telephone and face to face support
- Student support services, where students can receive support or assistance in the use of MyKirana or other administrative enquiries
- Access to leading industry trainers and assessors who care about how you progress in the course
- Flexible learning options: online or blended
- Our online learning is interactive and encourages collaboration for when you want to be inspired by like-minded students and teachers
To be assessed as competent in this qualification, individual workers are required to undertake 100 hours of supervised work placement in a relevant community service delivery setting, involving, for example, direct client work or community education or development. Evidence provided by the supervisor will contribute to assessment of the candidate’s ability to work at this level.
Rod Deb SawyerDiploma of Community Services
To achieve CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services, students are required to be found competent in a total of 16 units (8 core units and 8 elective units)
About Kirana Colleges
At Kirana Colleges we believe you can change the world by starting with yourself.
Vocational education plays a critical role in creating a strong and healthy economy by equipping people with the skills they need to succeed. Kirana Colleges provides work-ready courses and qualifications that help build Australia’s economy and help graduates reach their potential by equipping them with the skills and ‘can do’ attitude employers are looking for.
Kirana Colleges nurtures people to reach their potential and create positive change in individuals, which leads to a better society in which to live and work. We’re focused on delivering the training outcomes our students and business need to thrive.
Kirana Colleges is a subsidiary brand of Kirana Education Group.
Maxis Solutions Pty Ltd (RTO 91428) is a Registered Training Organisation and will be awarding the qualification on completion.